137 Year Anniversary Tacoma Chinese Expulsion: “Walk for Reconciliation” Essay Contest
Deadline: October 14th, 2022, postmarks not accepted.
Essay prompt: Research the event of the expulsion of the Chinese from Tacoma, Washington that took place in November 1885. In your essay, please discuss connection between the Chinese expulsions of 1885 and challenges people in our community face today. How can our understanding of this event help us make our community a better place in the future?
- To enter, you must be a current student in 9th through 12th grade for the academic school year of 2022-2023 and you must be attending a school located in Pierce County area.
- Essay must be no longer than two pages, double-spaced (roughly 500 words). They must be typed in 12-point, Times New Roman font, in English.
- Fill out the application form and attach it to the front of your essay. Include a header or footer on each page of your essay with your last name and page number.
- Essay may be mailed to P O Box 7024, Tacoma WA 98406 or dropped off at 224 Puyallup Ave, Tacoma WA 98421
Three prizes will be awarded to the best judged essays.
9th – 10th Grade First Place: $200.00 Second Place: $150.00
11th -12th Grade First Place: $200.00 Second Place: $150.00
The winner will have the opportunity to read their essay to an audience during our WALK for RECONCILIATION event at the Chinese Reconciliation Park on October 29, 2022. The Park is located at 1741 N Schuster Parkway, Tacoma.
Essay will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Understanding of event: What individuals and groups were involved. Why were they involved? What did they wish to achieve? What happened after the expulsion?
- Connections to our community: Did this event change our community? If so, are the changes still evident? If not, why not?
- Strength, feasibility, and originality of proposal to move forward: How can we ensure such events do not happen in the future? What specific actions can we, as individuals and as a community, take to protect the rights of people against illegal actions?
Judging will be done by an independent panel.
CRPF – 2022 Walk for Reconciliation Essay Contest Application Form